News

The Week in Review: Kagara abduction, Bawa’s EFCC appointment, others

Published

on

The week, 14th to the 20th of February was another eventful one in Nigeria, with a new set of controversies and tragic events that may have unfortunately become normal in Nigeria’s national life.

Events ranging from the abduction of 27 students and 15 staff of the Government Science College (GSC), Kagara, Niger State to the appointment of Abdulrasheed Bawa as the new Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the gale of defections to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and Nigeria’s exit from recession dominated the news in the past week.

Except for the exit from recession, nothing much called for cheers in the past week, as the media space was again dominated by one controversy or the order.

Kagara Abduction

In the early hours of Wednesday, February 17th, 2021, gunmen, reportedly dressed in military uniform and believed to be bandits, stormed the Government Science College, Kagara, Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State.

According to reports, the bandits first overpowered the security guards at the school before going ahead to conduct the business of the day, which is to take students and staff of the school into captivity. At the end of the operation said to have lasted about two hours, one student, apparently trying to escape just like others did, was shot dead while 27 students and 15 members of staff were taken away by motorcycle riding bandits.

The attack on the school in Kagara, though the first attack on a school in Niger State, came barely 72 hours after 18 passengers of the state transport company, NSTA were abducted in the same LGA.

The state has been ravaged by the bloody activities of bandits who raid communities, kill and kidnap innocent people at will, with four local governments said to be worse hit.

Defections

– Captured Daniel

On Tuesday, February 16th, 2021, a former Governor of Ogun State, Otunba Gbenga Daniel announced his defection from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the ruling APC, saying he has been ‘captured’

In a short statement, Daniel wrote: “I have since experienced an avalanche of encouragement to come on board.

“However in the last 48 hours things took a dizzying speed with the decision of the APC National Chairman requesting to visit me at Asoludero on Wednesday with about three Governors.

“While planning for the visit, Governor Abiodun also decided to visit me later today with another set of Governors.

“It, therefore, means that I have finally been ‘captured’. I thought I should quickly brief the house before the news go viral. Thanks for your understanding.”

With this brief statement, Gbenga Daniel’s journey to the APC, which started during the 2019 general election became official. At the election, despite being a campaign manager for former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar in the South-West for the PDP, Daniel threw his weight behind Governor Dapo Abiodun, who was then the candidate of the APC in Ogun State, directing his followers to vote for him.

For many, Gbenga had been in the ruling party since then, especially with the defection of his former deputy, Alhaji Sinatu Badaru and majority of his followers to the APC almost two years ago.

– Iyiola Omisore

Similarly, a day earlier, Monday 16th of February, another big fish jumped the political boat in Osun State, when a former deputy governor and a two term Senator, Iyiola Omisore dumped the Social Democratic Party (SDP) for the APC.

Omisore’s defection seals a romance that started shortly after the inconclusive governorship election in Osun State. Coming third on the election result, Omisore became the beautiful bride to the APC after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) ordered fresh polls at some polling units in the Ife axis, Omisore’s stronghold, where election were cancelled for one reason or the other.

Abdulrasheed Bawa’s Appointment

On Tuesday February 16, the chequered tenure of the suspended acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ibrahim Magu was finally brought to a conclusive end with the announcement of Abdulrasheed Bawa as the new boss of the anti-graft agency.

Bawa, 40 and a pioneer cadet detective of the EFCC, also a Deputy Detective Superintendent, was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari in complete departure from the norm since the inception of the agency, coming as the first Chairman of the Commission that is not either a retired or serving police officer. He also comes as the first core staff of the EFCC and the youngest person to occupy the position.

Though his appointment has brought up new controversies, bordering on alleged corrupt practices, especially allegations that Bawa illegally sold off 244 trucks seized from alleged treasury looters at ridiculous prices, thereby denying the nation of about N4.8 billion in recovered loot, the EFCC has, however, come to his defence, claiming he was never involved in such a shady deal.

Also, there are arguments over his qualification to occupy the office of chairman, with arguments that as a level 13 officer, he was not qualified since he is not at the level of an ACP as stipulated in the EFCC Act. However, to ensure that does not become a problem, reports have it that the agency has since promoted Bawa and his Course 1 mates to level 14, therefore, paving the way for a smooth screening and confirmation by the Senate barring any other matter.

Ex-CDI Usman’s Revelation About Dapchi Girls Abduction

Nigerians were taken aback on Thursday, the of 18th of February, 2021 with the confession of the immediate past Chief of Defence intelligence (CDI), Air Vice Marshall Muhammad Usman, that the military had intelligence report that Boko Haram insurgents will attack and kidnap female students from a school in Dapchi, Yobe State in 2018.

Usman, who is one of the retired top military brass appointed as ambassadors-designate by President Buhari, made the confession when he appeared before the Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs for his screening.

He said: “There was an intelligence report on Dapchi before it occurred. We saw indicators building up but it was not managed properly.

“State governors have a role to play because if you are given intelligence, we expect troops to move in but this does not happen in the North-East because of bad roads and difficult terrains.”

Though the retired CDI tried to defend the failure of the military to act on the intelligence at its disposal, blaming bad roads and difficult terrains and tactically shifting responsibility for their failure on state governors, many Nigerians believe the failure to act and prevent the girls from being kidnapped is the same reason the war against insurgency has continued to wobble.

Matawalle’s Not All Bandits are Criminals

Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle on Thursday, February 18, 2021 added to ongoing debates over armed bandits terrorising the North-West and parts of the North-Central geopolitical zones when he was quoted to have said “Not all bandits are criminals.”

The governor, whose state was at a point the epicenter of bandits activities, with the vast forests in the state firmly under their control till date, said: “Not all of them are criminals.

“If you investigate what is happening, and what made them take the laws into their hands, some of them, sometimes were cheated by the so-called vigilante groups.

“They normally go to their settlements and destroy property and take their animals. They did not have anyone to speak with, so sometimes, they go for revenge. When the vigilante group attacks them, they go for reprisals.”

Matawalle, who made the statement while speaking to State House Correspondents shortly after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, came under attack, with Nigerians wondering how a governor, who had to contend with the criminal activities of these bandits be claiming that not all of them are criminals.

The statement credited to Matawalle, however, fits into the narrative being pushed by respected Islamic scholar, Ahmad Gumi, who has consistently said lately that the bandits are fighting against injustices done to them.

Gumi’s Mission to the Bandits

Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, again remained in the news in the past week, thanks to his advocacy for amnesty for bandits and the his interface with bandits who allegedly abducted students and members of staff from the GSC, Kagara, Niger State.

Gumi was at the Government House, Minna on Thursday, a day after the abduction of the students and school workers, where he pledged to work for the release of the abductees. And true to his promise, he was in the forest of Dutsin Magaji, bordering Niger, Zamfara and Kaduna states, where he, allegedly met with the bandits. It is however, yet to be seen how effective this interface maybe and how soon the abductees will be released.

Exit from Recession

The most cheering news in the course of the week ended 20 of February is the report of the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) that the country has exited recession and back to the path of growth.

The NBS report said: “Nigeria’s gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 0.11 percent (year-on-year) in real terms in the fourth quarter of 2020, representing the first positive quarterly growth in the last three quarters.

“Though weak, the positive growth reflects the gradual return of economic activities following the easing of restricted movements and limited local and international commercial activities in the preceding quarters.

“As a result, while the Q4 2020 growth rate was lower than growth rate recorded the previous year by –2.44 percentage points, it was higher by 3.74 percentage points compared to Q3 2020.

“On a quarter on quarter basis, real GDP growth was 9.68 percent indicating a second positive consecutive quarter on quarter real growth rate in 2020 after two negative quarters.

“Overall, in 2020, the annual growth of real GDP was estimated at –1.92 percent, a decline of –4.20 percentage points when compared to the 2.27 percent recorded in 2019.”

Reporting the exit, Bloomberg said “Africa’s largest economy unexpectedly exits recession”, underscoring how the news was taken even outside Nigeria.

The Week in Review: Kagara abduction, Bawa’s EFCC appointment, others

Continue Reading
Click to comment
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

News

Ogun Deputy Speaker, Kadiri arrested for ‘attacking’ constituents

Published

on

By

The police in Ogun State have arrested the Deputy Speaker of the Ogun State House of Assembly, Hon. Oludare Kadiri.

Kadiri was said to have been arrested on Friday over an alleged attack on some politicians in his constituency, Oru-Ijebu, Ijebu North Local Government Area of Ogun State.

The Ogun Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed Kadiri’s arrest to DAILY POST.

Oyeyemi disclosed that Kadiri was arrested following a petition against him.

He was said to have led some thugs to the house of a constituent, beating him and vandalising his house.

“He was arrested because a case was reported against him by some people in his area. He was alleged to have led some thugs to attack one Honourable at Oru-Ijebu.

“The house of the Honourable was vandalised and some things were damaged there.

“During the APC registration exercise, he was alleged to have attacked a Supervisory Councillor in Oru-Ijebu and he led some people to beat up the man in the presence of the police.

“That’s why he was invited for questioning and we are investigating him,” Oyeyemi said on Friday evening.

Ogun Deputy Speaker, Kadiri arrested for ‘attacking’ constituents

Continue Reading

News

Don’t touch Sunday Igboho – Nnamdi Kanu warns DSS

Published

on

By

Nnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has condemned the alleged attempt by operatives of the Department of State Services (DSS) to arrest Yoruba freedom fighter, Sunday Igboho.

Femi Fani-Kayode, a former Aviation Minister had raised the alarm that DSS operatives and policemen numbering 40 made an attempt to arrest the activist along the Ibadan/Lagos Expressway on Friday.

Reacting, Nnamdi Kanu on his Twitter handle, warned that Sunday Igboho should not be touched.

“I condemn in totality the pathetic attempt to arrest Sunday Igboho earlier today.

“This is yet another deliberate act of provocation by the Fulani Caliphate. No #Fulani mass murderer, Miyetti Allah or bandit is under arrest. Nigeria is on the brink! Igboho should not be touched,” he warned.

Meanwhile, the secret service in a statement signed by its Public Relations Officer, Peter Afunanya, distanced itself from the allegation.

Afunanya stressed that the news was misinforming and should be disregarded.

Don’t touch Sunday Igboho – Nnamdi Kanu warns DSS

Continue Reading

News

2023: I’ll run for President – Doyin Okupe

Published

on

By

Doyin Okupe, a former aide to ex-Presidents, Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan, has declared that he will be joining the race for the presidency in 2023 if the security situation in the country lingers on.

“I will run for President in 2023 if banditry, kidnapping, herdsmen ravaging the South West and Boko Haram, all continue unabated,” he tweeted.

According to him, bandits terrorising the country will be stopped dead on their tracks.

The politician noted that the situation where bandits operate unchallenged for 3 to 4 hrs will no longer be possible during his government, adding that any major mass movement in the forests will be detected by satellite and ground forces will be mobilised instantly.

“I will also submit a post dated letter of resignation from office by myself and the vice president to NASS. It will be dated 30th September 2025,” he continues

“It shall be activated by a vote of 2/3 majority of the joint seating of the NASS, who would have satisfied themselves with the fact that my admin has not done enough or anything vividly substantial in the war against the above listed 4 scourges that have plagued this Nation.

“I say all this with great and profound sense of responsibility considering the gloom and perplexity that these menaces have brought on our Nation while we all appear helpless and hopeless and we have a raging internal war pervading dear of insecurity and lack of safety, severe inter ethnic hatred and strife tending to tear the nation apart.

“I sincerely believe that things do not need to be the way they are. I have been a very close aide of two great Presidents and have been close enough to Power to know what can be done under these perplexing circumstances.

“This write up is not about immodesty. I am convinced within myself that I have the knowledge, the intellect, the exposure and experience that will be required to lead this nation out of its present predicament , if no other seriously minded person is willing to offer themselves.

“As a teaser I will elaborate briefly but not in too much detail on what the government can do to curtail this rampaging menace.

“As President I will declare a state of emergency in the affected states. I know politicians will not like this. But without security the nation and its politics will neither survive nor exist.

“Governors will not leave their political offices but their duties and functions shall be strictly limited to administrative matters while the state of emergency is in place. The state assemblies will be on temporary holiday till things return to normalcy.

“I will appoint a senior military personnel to be the state security administrator not lower than a Brigade General. He will be fully in charge and be responsible for the safety and security of citizens of the state.

“The National Security Adviser in consultation with the Service chiefs will coordinate these states’ commanding officers nationally. National Security Council meetings will be thrice weekly excluding emergency meetings.

“A daily report of security of all affected states shall be on my desk 8.00am daily.

I will deploy 2000 military troops and 3000 special police forces to each of the affected states. (this may be subject to what is readily available.

“Each state will have 2 transport helicopters, 1 surveillance helicopter with night vision capability and a surveillance helicopter.

I will arrange with international private and commercial satellite companies to cover the affected areas

“This service came into use sometimes ago during the BAGA inferno attack by Boko haram. We were able to see a whole town real time with each housing unit clearly demarcated.

“Today, bandits can be located and movements monitored through infrared Ray’s or thermal radiation from satellites focused on the area in question.

“Every school and hamlets and villages will have multiple part time trained civil security agents with electronic panic buttons gadgets which will upon activation notify and alert nearest security posts and cells.

“It will display the location of the distress caller without him saying a word. This will be available with teachers, pupils, village heads, chiefs, priests, special okada riders and transporters and market heads all over the state.

“Bandits will be stopped dead on their tracks. The situation where bandits operate unchallenged for 3 to 4 hrs will no longer be possible. Any major mass movement in the forests will be detected by satellite and ground forces will be mobilised instantly.

“This will cost money. I have done some rough estimates. $1 Billion will get this project under way and our citizens and children can all sleep with their eyes closed.

“I have written this not to seek any attention or create arguments. People do not have to agree with what I have proposed.

“If I am the Nigerian President this will be my brief to my security council. They will give their input and we will swing to action.”

2023: I’ll run for President – Doyin Okupe

Continue Reading

Trending