News

Drug abuse: Court grants NDLEA order to destroy N150m illicit drugs

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Abuja has given the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency NDLEA, an order to destroy narcotics drugs and psychotropic substances, weighing 15.660kg and valued at about N150 million.

Justice Inyang Ekwo in a ruling on Friday granted an order for the forfeiture and leave to destroy the drug sought by the NDLEA in an ex-parte application argued by a senior lawyer to the agency, Mike Kassa.

In the application marked: FJC/ABJ/CS/1142021, the NDLEA prayed for “an order for forfeiture and leave to destroy, by burning in a public place, all narcotics drugs and psychotropic substances tendered in cases already prosecuted to a conclusion in Abuja from January 1, 2020 to October 31, 2020, by the agency, weighing 15.660kg.”

The NDLEA, in a supporting affidavit, said the drugs and psychotropic substances were seized by operatives at its Abuja command in the course of their operations at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport.

It stated that the cases, in respect of which the drugs and psychotropic substances were seized, have all been concluded and that no appeals were pending in respect of the cases.

According to NDLEA, the cases to which the forfeited items related includes: “CR/96/2019 in which Angela Wairimu Gathanju, arrested May 11, 2019, was convicted by Court 10 of the Federal High Court, Abuja on January 17, 2020, for unlawful possession of 6.5/0kg of heroin.

“CR/136/2019 in which Emmanuel Ugochukwu Udeagwu was convicted by Court Seven of the Federal High Court, Abuja on July 1, 2019, for unlawful possession of 3.1kg of cocaine.

“CR/172/2019 in which Ogbu Emeka Christian, arrested on July 17, 2019, was convicted by Court Four of the Federal High Court, Abuja on March 17, 2020, for unlawful possession of 3kg of methamphetamine.

“CR/264/2019 in which Ibeh Augustine Chukwu, arrested on October 20, 2019, was convicted by Court, Three of the Federal High Court, Abuja on June 17, 2020, for the unlawful possession of 5kg of cocaine.

“CR/182/2017 in which Anifowose Oluwaseyi Omotayo, arrested on October 25, 2017, was convicted by Court, seven of the Federal High Court, Abuja on January 7, 2020, for unlawful possession, of 3kg of ephedrine and 1.9kg of cocaine”.

Drug abuse: Court grants NDLEA order to destroy N150m illicit drugs

Continue Reading
Click to comment
0 0 vote
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

News

End SARS: Judicial panel disposes 23 cases in Osun

Published

on

By

The Osun Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality, Human Rights Violations and Related Extra Judicial Killings, on Friday said it has disposed of 23 cases out of 34 petitions before it.

The chairman of the panel, Justice Akin Oladimeji (rtd.), disclosed this on Friday in Osogbo while speaking with journalists.

He disclosed that it reserved its recommendations as part of efforts to ensure justice and adequate compensations for all.

The retired Justice said the panel reserved its recommendations in some of the cases already concluded in line with judicial procedure.

Justice Oladimeji, who reaffirmed the commitment of the panel to ensure fairness and equity in all the petitions brought before it, said members of the panel had been working rigorously to ensure adequate compensations to those with good cases.

“We struck out 12 cases out of 23 cases that we have concluded and 3 cases had reached the final address stage, while 8 cases are pending for hearing and further hearing,” Oladimeji added.

Asked why the panel has not been awarding compensations to petitioners with genuine cases, Oladimeji said, “It is conventional to complete all the cases before awarding compensations”.

A petitioner, Chief Jelili Adegoke Raheem, had voluntarily withdrawn his petition before the panel following his decision to settle the matter.

The petitioner had in his petition claimed that he was beaten to stupor by one Superintendent Dayo Ezekiel who allegedly punched him for no reason on October 2nd, 2020 while exiting a motor-park around Oke-Baale, Osogbo.

The Counsel for the petitioner, Barrister Michael Akinwande, in an application forwarded before the panel for the withdrawal of the case, said his client had settled the matter amicably with the accused person before the adjournment.

He said it was interesting to know that the erring officer had complied with the order of the superior police officer that had earlier charged him to formally apologise to his client before the case was brought before the panel.

The panel however adopted the final address written by the counsel for Mr. Ibrahim Olagoke who had petitioned the police for brutality.

End SARS: Judicial panel disposes 23 cases in Osun

Continue Reading

News

EPL: Tuchel names player to miss Chelsea vs Man United match

Published

on

By

Chelsea boss, Thomas Tuchel, has confirmed that centre-back, Thiago Silva, will not take part in his side’s Premier League clash against Manchester United on Sunday evening at Stamford Bridge.

Silva had missed Chelsea’s last five games because of a muscle thigh injury.

The Brazilian international sustained the injury during Chelsea’s 1-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur earlier this month.

However, speaking at his pre-match press conference on Friday, Tuchel revealed that the 36-year-old would return to his squad next week.

“He [Thiago Silva] did an individual session today, on the pitch, and felt it was big progress,” said Tuchel.

“It’s a big step ahead for him, so I hope he will join the group next week.”

Chelsea head to the game after beating Atletico Madrid 1-0 in the Champions League on Tuesday.

The kick-off time for Chelsea vs Man United is 5:30 pm.

EPL: Tuchel names player to miss Chelsea vs Man United match

Continue Reading

News

APC has failed – PDP condemns kidnap of Zamfara schoolgirls

Published

on

By

The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP has condemned Friday’s attack on Government Secondary School, Jangebe in Zamfara State, where hundreds of schoolgirls were abducted.

The party in a statement on Friday, said the terrifying spate of abduction and acts of terrorism in the country validates concerns that the All Progressives Congress and its administration have become bereft of solutions to the escalated insecurity under their watch.

The party, while calling for full-scale investigation into the abduction, said it is alarmed by the current situation wherein outlaws have turned the kidnapping of innocent school children and other vulnerable citizens for ransom, into a lucrative business following the lethargic approach and compromises under the Buhari administration.

”Only last week, gunmen had a field day invading communities after communities in Niger state, killing and maiming our compatriots after which they descended on Government Secondary School Kagara where they killed a student and abducted 40 others alongside their teachers.

”In December, just two months ago, the nation was jolted when gunmen invaded President Muhammadu Buhari’s home state, Katsina, at the time he was holidaying in the state and abducted over 600 students of the Government Science Secondary School, Kankara.

”Indeed, our party weeps over the unfortunate situation that our nation is being plunged into by the incompetent, deceptive and uncoordinated APC and its administration that not only caused the escalation of acts of terrorism in our country but also failed to run an effective command structure to secure the nation.

”APC had earlier been alerted of a link between APC and the outlaws. It is unpardonable that the APC has failed to rein in their bandits, who they brought from neighboring countries to help them to muscle the 2019 election

”Instead, they had allowed them to continue to invade our communities and wreak havoc on our people.

The party, therefore, charges President Buhari to step out of the Aso Rock presidential villa and ensure the immediate rescue of the abducted students.”

It also empathized with the families of the abducted children and well as the victims of the worsened insecurity occasioned by the failures of the

APC has failed – PDP condemns kidnap of Zamfara schoolgirls

Continue Reading

Trending